Thursday, December 6, 2007

A Little More Emotion


One of the things I don't like about Greenaway's films are that they lack emotion at times. He hates sentimentality and the typical love stories in cinema. Although I agree it becomes a little trite, there still needs to be some emotional connection. It doesn't have to always be corny or cheesy. I'm not talking about Titanic or the English Patient. Someone who has Greenaway's iconoclasm yet who incorporates some level of emotion is Godard, a director from the French New Wave. His film, Breathless is the love story of a thug and a American girl in Paris. Although this movie is from 1959, it breaks all of the rules of cinema in terms of plot, dialog, editing, music. Yet there is still a love story that is conveyed in a very unconventional way. Here is a great interview with Godard.

No comments: